A few Sources for the research data on this Website
Just a few of the Sources used for this Web Site
First I would like to quote from Brittain Bragonier Robinson who, after about 35 years of family research, published his results in 1969.
............. From page 6 of Brittian's book .....
"A number of Braguniers when questioned during the investigations presented vague but emphatic ideas that there were written histories of the family but it was with great difficulty, that these stories were "run down." While no extensive genealogy was found, there were several sources of information that proved to be very profitable. It was found that several individuals had devoted considerable time and some expense in pursuing their studies. The present paper is an effort to bring these various studies together with the records and confirming evidence that have been collected by the author from many sources."
Ref: "THE BRAGUNIER FAMILY in AMERICA also BRAGONIER * BROCKUNIER * PROCUNIER" by Brittain Bragonier Robinson 1969 .......
I have relied on Brittain Bragonier Robinson's research & Georgiana Randall's book "THE BRAGONIER FAMILY" 1969, to confirm many of my findings during my research.
David C. Procuniar 1/05/1999.
Resources & References
Bragunier\Brockunier\Procuniar\ier Family Researchers Summation
I began compiling my family history in 1991 and through many resources was able to connect my family branch with the whole tree, so to speak. The Procuniar name being such an odd spelling that I have had to help others pronounce and spell it throughout my entire life! As a child my early school teachers just called me David, never even trying to pronounce my last name! My fellow students had a field day by calling me Petunia, Peculier etc. and even in later life some of my childhood friends still could not spell or pronounce my last name! Starting my family genealogy in the growing computer age has made it possible to connect family members and instantly, by pushing a key on the keyboard, find out if I had a second, fifth or a fifth cousin four times removed etc.
While I've prepared my family history, I do not wish to suggest that all of the research is mine. I prefer to give thanks (and/or pass around the blame). A partial list of sources and contacts would include the following:
Fred T. Bragonier hired the Rev. A. Stapleton (from Carlisle, Pa.) in 1904 who did extensive research of our family in the Maryland area! Stapleton published his research results in a book. Rev. Stapleton states that the book "Memorials of the Huguenots in America" Carlisle, Pa. page 135, 1901 states that the notable Bregunier family came from a refugee who appears on the arrival list at Philadelphia, in 1740, as John Nicholas Peckonier, and who located at Clear Springs, Maryland. John Nicholas Peckonier's grandson the Rev. Daniel Bregunier, (1807-1867) was a distinguished minister of the Reformed Church, and the original of "Old Mr. Huguenot" in "The Young Parson" by Dr. Peter Davis."
Mrs. Arthur Taylor Bragonier gave information on our Virginia and West Virginia families. Mrs. Bragonier contacted Mrs. C. F. Lyne of Shepherdstown for other family history.
DeWitt Bragonier supplied family history on his Iowa families! (Jacob Bragonier)
Dean Wendell H. Bragonier also gave family history on the Iowa connections!
Samuel Hugh Brockunier Jr. (Professor) supplied family history on Henry Brockunier son of Peter Brockunier Sr.
Mrs. J.B. Dorton, sent in family history about her brother-in-law Dr. R. K. Bragonier !
Joanne Harvey supplied information on the Peter Procunier Jr branch of our family!
Mrs. Eleanor (Bragonier) McGinnis gave a detailed chart of Altoona, PA of the descendants of William McGill Bragonier!
Mrs. John R. Norris supplied information on her mother’s descendants, Mrs. Bertha Adelia (Bragonier) Rife!
Brittain Bragunier Robinson, 1969 published a book titled The Bragunier Family in America ALSO Bragonier-Brockunier-Procunier. (Brittain lived in Lake Worth, Florida)
Mrs. Richard R. Whittemore supplied family information of the Rev. Daniel George Bragonier of Virginia and West Virginia!!
Mrs. Whittemore is of the Mormon Faith.
Mr. Richard Winger, who was not related but was a friend of the wife of the late Abraham Bragonier and gave us information concerning the Little Cove, Pennsylvania and Franklin County, Pennsylvania area!
In 1965 Reginald Bragonier hired Georgiana H. Randall along with Charlotte G. Russell (G R S) of Bethesda, Maryland to collect all his family history that he had gathered over the years!! Reginald also asked them to make searches in the Washington county areas of Maryland for more family history. They searched mainly in the DAR Library, National Archives, state and county histories, manuscripts, census records, pension records, the Pennsylvania Archives, etc., and gave very clear & complete reports of their findings!! Through these efforts, a book titled The Bragonier Family a record of the descendants of Peter and George was printed in 1969 by Georgiana Randall.
Efforts in the early 1940’s to compile our family history did not contain any family lineage of William Bragunier, son of Daniel Bragonier (also Prakunier-Brackunier). Daniel was the son of Peter Brockunier Sr. who mentioned Daniel in his will of 1804! A small notebook owned by Mrs. M. Ethel (Bragunier) Hewette (daughter of Charles W. Bragunier and Sarah Ann Manhood) that was written by her father Charles William Bragunier, the son of William Bracunier-Bragunier, (copied and printed in Brittain Bragonier Robinson’s book in 1969 pages 63 - 70). Mrs. Hewette was living in at El Patio Apartments, 900 W 41st Street, Los Angeles 37 California when Brittian interviewed her in 1949 for his book. This book gives further details about other families and branches of our family. Namely William Brecunier and his brother Samuel Procuniar who lived next to each other in Dayton, Ohio 1836 - 1838. Samuel Procuniar is my great great grandfather!!
We have records of ancestors (or of our family surname) who lived in France & Germany and among the Huguenots in England and Holland. Many of the early members of our family in the USA ( Maryland & West Virginia) spoke German and lived in German settlements! Source: Georgiana Randall "The Bragonier Family" 1969
Our records show that our ancestors lived in what is now Washington County Maryland, both before and after its being set off from Frederick County in 1776! We know of "four families" who were probably related that lived in that area!
Source: Georgiana Randall The Bragonier Family 1969
Peter Prakunier, aged 49 …. Ref.: 1776 census Elizabeth Hundred, Frederick County Maryland.
George Bragooner b-1730-35 & d-1803 married to Anna Eva …. George had at least four children. He was listed in Clear Springs, near Washington County, Maryland then relocated to Berkeley county Virginia.
Henry (Bragooner) Peckunier b-about 1733-40, lived in Frederick County, Maryland.
Jacob Burgooner, listed in the Berkeley county Virginia militia 1775-1783
The above were possibly the brothers or cousins of John Nichol Peckoner who came to the USA on the ship Lydia in September of 1740, bringing with him a son listed as John Nichol Jr. aged 15.
Other Family Genealogists I have exchanged family history and information with since 1991:
Cathy (Deardorf) Hinckley; Brecunier Genealogy; 11908 Hollysprings Drive; Great Falls, VA 22066;
Daniel Brockunier Sr. lineage
Jean & Art Rotter; (Brecunier) P O Box 310; Yachats, OR 97498 Daniel Brockunier Sr. lineage
Gordon W Procunier; 45 Kingsway Crescent; Toronto, Ca M8X 2R5 Peter Procunier Jr. lineage.
Marjorie R (Bragonier) Whittemore; 608 E. Bougainville Cir; Barefoot Bay, FL 32958; Jacob Bragonier lineage.
Dwayne L. Pretzer; 6 Old Farm Road; Charlottesville, VA 22903 Jacob Bragonier lineage.
Joanne H. Harvey; 2420 Newport Drive; Lansing, MI 48906-3541; Peter Procunier Jr. lineage.
Debby-Michael Volpe; 2909 Owl Drive; Rolling Meadows, IL 60008; John Franklin Procuniar lineage.
Pat & Frank Borke; Vandeveer-Bragunier; 5733 Brewer Rd; Mason, Oh 45040; George Braggonier Sr.
possible brother of John Nichol Peckoner
John & LaVera McNeill; (John died 1995); 3005 Ashe Croft Drive; Indian Trail, NC 28079-9420;
John Franklin Procuniar lineage
Elaine Allen, RR 1 Box 418, Belle Fourche, SD 57717, firstname.lastname@example.org, (605) 892-2426
Procunier connection through Peter Procunier Jr.
THE BRAGONIER FAMILY a record of the descendants of Peter & George Bragonier, including those who spell the name Bracunier, Bragunier, Brockunier, Procunier, etc. by GEORGIANA H. RANDALL 1969
THE BRAGUNIER FAMILY IN AMERICA also BRAGONIER-BROCKUNIER-PROCUNIER by Brittain Bragunier Robinson 1969
NOTE: Both of the above books can be read or copied at any of the LDS History Centers
Below are a few more of the Sources for the Family History on this Web Site ....
1) Notes on the Braconnier family as disclosed by various works on Protestantism in France, Huguenot Refugees.
2) Mrs. Arthur Taylor Bragonier gave information on our Virginia and West Virginia families. Mrs. Bragonier contacted Mrs. C. F. Lyne of Shepherdstown for other family history.
3) DeWitt Bragonier supplied family history on his Iowa families! (Jacob Bragonier).
4) Samuel Hugh Brockunier Jr. (Professor) supplied family history on Henry Brockunier son of Peter Brockunier Sr.
5) Mrs. J. B. Dorton, sent in family history about her brother-in-law Dr. R. K. Bragonier!
6) Mrs. Eleanor (Bragonier) McGinnis gave a detailed chart of the Altoona, PA of the descendants of William McGill Bragonier!
7) Mrs. John R. Norris supplied information on her mother’s descendants, Mrs. Bertha Adelia (Bragonier) Rife!
8) Fred T. Bragonier hired the Rev. A. Stapleton (from Carlisle, Pa.) in 1904 who did extensive research of our family in the Maryland area! Stapleton published his research results in a manuscript.
9) Protestantism Francais-by Haag.
10) Research from the Proceedings of the Huguenot Society of London.
11) Zion German Church Baptismal, Marriage and Death records in Frederick, Maryland.
12) Les Montalbanais et le Refuge-Paul de Felize.
13) The notebook of Charles W. Bragunier.
14) The Bragonier Family by Georgiana H. Randall published in 1969.
15) Brittain Bragunier Robinson, 1969 published a book titled "The Bragunier Family in America ALSO Bragonier-Brockunier- Procunier". (Brittain lived in Lake Worth, Florida 1969).
16) Mrs. Richard R. Whittemore (Mormon) supplied family information of the Rev. Daniel George Bragonier of Virginia and West Virginia!!
17) Mr. Richard Winger, who was not related but was friends of the wife of Abraham Bragonier, gave us information concerning Little Cove, Pennsylvania and the Franklin County, Pennsylvania area!
18) First Reformed Church of Hagerstown Maryland church records on LDS micro-film.
19) The Estate of Christian Rohrer 14 June 1814 provided the connection of the Rohrer's to the Procuniers.
20) Past Email Dean Wendell H. Bragonier also gave family history on the Iowa Bragonier connections!
21) Email David Charles Procuniar, oral history taken from family members for Samuel (Prackunier) Procuniar lineage.
22) Joanne H. Harvey of Lansing Michigan added the "Procunier" research to Brittian Bragunier Robinson's book and has continually contributed to our research. Joanne speaks at seminars through out the states on a regular basis.
23) Elaine (Allen) Allen RR 1 Box 418, Belle Fourche, SD 57717, email@example.com, (605) 892-2426 also supplied family research on the Peter Procunier JR.
24) Email Volpe, Debbie of Rolling Meadows, Illinois supplied us with research she has gathered on her great grandfather John Franklin Procuniar. John Franklin is the great great grandson of Peter Brockunier SR.
25) Email Jean Rotter from Yachats, Oregon supplied us with information on the Daniel Brecunier JR lineage. Daniel is the grandson of Peter Brockunier SR. Daniel Brercunier lived in the Shirley Township area of Hundingdon & Bedford counties in Pennsylvania.
26) Email Pamela (Procuniar) Goldberg contributed family history for her father William Clifford Procuniar and her grandfather Hugh Clifford Procuniar.
27) George A. Procuniar & Robert A. Procuniar (brothers) added their respective families to our family tree. Both are sons of Hugh Clifford Procuniar's 2nd wife Hazel Bennett. George flew B24's in 1944 during WW II George and his crew piloted the "Screwball" - B24H 42-52711 G.
28) Email that Richard Procunier supplied family history on the Isar & Gusta (Wiborg) Procunier.
29) Email that Nicholas Brockunier supplied family history on the Samuel Hugh Brockunier family.
30) Email from Eric Nelson is trying to supply family history on the Bracounier side of the Family in Sweden!
31) Email Cherie Peterson-Emerick, has contributed Peter Procunier JR family research on Catherine Procunier (d/o Peter JR) and her husband Francis Emerick.
32) Census Records 1790 through 1890 for Indiana, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, W. Virginia
33) Marriage Records 1790 through 1870 for Indiana, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, W. Virginia
34) Land Records 1790-1938 for Ohio, Pennsylvania
Attempts to trace the Procuniar\ier - Bragunier family's migratory origins and destinations from Peter Brockunier's ancestors reveal more confusion than substance. Attempts to reconstruct the complex web of interrelationships have enabled us to gain some perception of what may have been our family progenitor. Most records uncovered here are at the most incomplete and my conclusions were carefully hedged with somewhat qualifying statements. Although both the family reader and this researcher seek firm facts, both must note the hypothetical nature of many of the findings. What I am saying here is that the reader needs a degree of patience and imaginative empathy until the complex picture of the family emerges in the narrative. What records that have been found would support the claim that Maryland and Pennsylvania were the original, Procunier-Prockunier-Brockunier ancestral home. (Brittian Bragunier Robinson 1969)
The Bragonier Family by Georgiana H. Randall 1969.
The Bragunier Family in America by Brittian Bragunier Robinson 1969
First Reformed Church of Hagerstown Maryland church records on LDS micro-film
Note: Anything not copyrighted in this publication can be reprinted with permission from the author David C. Procuniar. (It is appreciated if a credit line be given) Certain advertisers and writers may retain copyright on material which will be clearly marked as such. You must contact them about use of their material. Information in this publication was/is obtained from correspondence, newsletters and miscellaneous sources, which, in many cases cannot be verified 100%. In cases where you need to write the author for material, please send along a SASE (Self Addressed Stamped Envelope). © Copyright 2001 David C. Procuniar … Reprinted with permission …